Weitzman (2000) provides the most up-to-date categorisation of CAQDAS software, building upon
earlier work with Miles (cited above), which categorises software into five types:
• text retrievers - which facilitate the searching of large amounts of data for instances of words or phrases
• textbase managers - data management packages which provide a structure to the data stored and are usually searchable in a similar way to text retrieval programs
• code and retrieve programs that allow you to label or 'tag' passages of text that can later be retrieved according to the codes applied
• code based theory builders which are recent additions to many code and retrieve programs. These support the conceptualisation of data by the analyst and may also have extended hyperlinking facilities which allow the analyst to create links between different aspects of the data set
• conceptual network builders - programs which facilitate the graphic display and investigation of conceptual, cognitive or semantic networks within a data set.
Ritchie, J., Lewis, J., Nicholls, C. M., & Ormston, R. (Eds.). (2013). Qualitative research practice: A guide for social science students and researchers. Sage.